Monday 19 December 2011

Pretty pink ballerina

She stood there like a fairy
From head to toe in white
With a twinkle in her eyes
Indeed a pretty sight.

And as she received her golden trophy,
Wrapped in ribbons silky blue,
It donned on me that maybe
I could have been there too.

It started years ago
In my pink ballerina dress
When pirouettes were my priority
And life a lovable mess!

I dreamt o being a dancer
Of doing shows, big and small
I dreamt o f living life to its fullest
As I danced across the hall

She had done just the same
As she swirled and danced around
Like a pretty young angel
Who had just landed on the ground

A lady had come to call me
She said I would be a star
That I would become famous
Be known, near and far

But seeing MY reaction
She was struck with a blow
Because to her very surprise
My answer was, NO!

I said bye to the opportunity
Gave up a golden chance
And soon bid adieu to my passion
Gave up my dance

My ballet shoes were packed in the box
That last glimpse of the dance hall
“Why did I say no?” You ask me
For I was afraid I would fall

I was afraid I would fail
I doubted my own skill
Though there was a way this time,
There was no will

That door I was afraid to open
In fear of what I would see
So I shut my dreams forever
Dreams, of who I wanted to be

Life taught me a lesson
That I teach you, my child today
You don’t go in search of opportunities
Opportunities, they come your way

When life gives you golden chances
Don’t let them slip your hand
Or you won’t climb the mountains
You will just fall, deep into the sand

If I had not committed that mistake
I could have been on stage too
Receiving a golden trophy
Wrapped in ribbons, silky blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment